Co-Dependency, Season 2



So...yesterday I went to therapy. Counseling that is. I've done it before. When Elizabeth was six months old I began having nightmares almost daily. I couldn't get rid of them, so I went to the counseling center at BYU. They diagnosed me with low self esteem. Ok. There you go. The nightmares stopped and I later stopped going to therapy.

Fast forward three years. I had a three year old and two one year old twins and was staying at home. I decided I needed therapy again. This time when I went to counseling all I could tell them was that I was unhappy and that I had SAD- seasonal affective disorder. My therapist was new and we didn't get along very well. She just kept telling me- you are not opening up to me. How could I when I just didn't get along with her?

Six months ago, when Asher was six months old, I was reading a relationship book and diagnosed myself with having co-dependency. This is when you rely on others for your self esteem. I read all I could on it and made progress. Finally I knew a little more about what was going on with me. All of the books said I should do therapy and or group therapy. There is a CoDa- Co-dependents Anyonymous group that meets in Salt Lake, but I was never able to make it there.

So, now here in Maryland, more established I sought out an LDS therapist. Long story made short- the drive there was crazy and long, my therapist was somewhat eccentric and my kids did not handle it very well. I've decided to continue my own study at home with self-help books and such.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Anonymous said…
don't give up on finding a good therapist! if you feel like it would be helpful, then keep looking. good luck!
love, hilary
Sarah said…
You are very brave to post this. I don't know if I'd even have the courage to look for help. Good luck.
Anonymous said…
I liked one-on-one therapy better than group: I liked my therapist, while I thought most people in the group were annoying and needy. I couldn't solve their problems, they couldn't solve mine. What was the point of that?