16 Hours of Darkness


This is what Josh was doing last night when, at around 6 pm, we lost all electricity. It did not come back on until 10 am this morning. During that time I was outbid on an item at ebay that I really wanted (aka oval mohogany mirror for our front foyer), the kids became very intrigued (Jonah kept saying "let's turn this light on. I would try. It didn't light. Well...he said "let's turn THIS light on" still no light. " Let's turn the tv. No tv! Imagine that!) and we spent some time reading stories by flashlight.

During our move we were unable to pack anything flammable and Ethan broke our only good flashlight so we were light-less literally. Luckily we borrowed items from Craig and Ellen and made a quick trip to the store for some small flashlights to use as nightlights. There are all these things you never know you use until they are not there anymore. Nightlights, air conditioning (poor Asher woke up sweating all over), the computer. I have to say that I must be addicted to blogging, because when I could not go online and blog, I became twitchy and nervous. I may need to cut back on my blog intake and actually read a book. Right now I'm working on The Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegnar (ouch- mosquito- who let YOU in?). It's beautiful writing. Just a little slow.


In other news, we went around the neighborhood with some homemade cinnamon rolls (made with my new kitchen aid-heehee. I bought it to start making homemade bread, although the eight cups of flour I used in my double batch of rolls was too much for the poor machine, so I will have to cut down the recipe that calls for 12 cups). Both neighbors who were home invited us in and gave us a tour of their whole house. Is this an East Coast thing? They both don't have kids, so their home was immaculate! One house was just like ours and it was nice to see what they had done. They were very friendly and we really enjoy our neighborhood. Now we just have to get a screened in porch, re-wallpaper the bathrooms, re-do the basement and we're good to go!

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

Comments

Molly said…
The house tour thing isn't an "East Coast thing" it's just a homeowner thing. I've let lots of people look all around my house- clean or not! Especially if someone's in the same neighborhood or has a newer house! Love ya,
Molly
Joanie said…
Megan....this is about your blogging...It probably doesn't take long-just a few moments...more if you do pictures...but you are connecting with your family!!!! It is wonderful. If you sat down once a day or every other day and made a few comments..that would be wonderful!
Once a week is not enough.

I have appreciated the photos..the floor looks great!!!! You all have worked so hard...Josh is such an ambitious guy!~~~Looking forward to apicture of your living room furniture...You have a
Kitchen Aide????? Wow!!!!!Good for you! Love, Mom