Shallow Hal

Last night, as Josh and I watched tv and I folded a huge mountain of clothes, we paused upon the movie Shallow Hal. We watched if for a little while, but then moved on. It was mean and pretty much made fun of fat people the whole time. It was slightly funny, but then you felt bad for laughing at fat people. Especially when you have been fat yourself. I'm not talking about Josh here. I'm talking about me.

While on my mission to Spain I gained 30 pounds. That's right! 30! At one point, the top button of my favorite skirt popped off- right in the middle of a gospel conversation on the street. I had hit a low point of 175 pounds. Actually, I don't even know exactly how much I weighed since the scales I used were all in kilograms, but all I know it was 77 kilograms and I did not think that translated well to pounds.

Since then I have been able to lose more than 50 pounds. All the weight I put on during my mission, plus my college life pounds also. So, my point is- if you have lost over 50 pounds in the past 7 years- don't watch Shallow Hal. The rapid fire imagines of the girl changing from fat to skinny and then from skinny to fat again will be enough to cause you to have crazy dreams. Which I promptly did.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

p.s. I will blog about my lovely birthday tommorow.

Comments

Rachel said…
I wish you would have wached the whole movie. it mainly had to do with "shallow" hal. About inner beauty. A sort of Lesson learning" movie. It just that his friends were so surprised that he was dating a large women because Hal was so vain. But idon't think any of his friends made fun of her (even though they could see her as large and hal couldn't)

You weigh 125 pounds. I weigh 140. My doctors want it a little lower. Most of my clothes are for 130. I got up to over 168 at one point not long ago, so I know the struggle. Yes, gotta get more serious about these 10 poundsso I can wear my different summer tops this summer.

I am sorry the movie got to you. But what does bother me when I do lose weight (or when I just hear somebody say it) Is..Oh, "your so skinny". See there are a lot of overweight people here in Wisconsin. But Iknow some people very thin and want to gain weight. It very much hurts them when somebody says the "skinny" word. Do they say it out of jealousy. And because I am not actually that thin at 130 pounds. can I say back.."I am not skinny, you are just fat" Then I get a kick out of guys that have huge guts making commets about "fat" women..hello!!!
Laura said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it was great.
Laura said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it was great.
Unknown said…
wow - i never thought of it before that you actually lost 50 pounds! That's like half a person - or 1 whole kid - wow!